Composers: Georgi Sviridov
While greatly revered in Russia, the profound and beautiful music of neo-romantic composer Georgy Sviridov (1915–1998) is hardly known beyond his homeland’s borders. His predominantly vocal output reflects his strong affinity for many of the nest Russian poets, who inspired him to compose highly idiomatic music to match the emotional intensity and expressive passion of their verses. Thus did Sergei Yesenin’s vivid and moving poetry spark the creation of the stunning twelve-song cycle Russia Cast Adrift.
Legendary baritone (and cherished Delos artist) Dmitri Hvorostovsky developed especially strong personal and artistic bonds with Sviridov in the composer’s final years, compelling Sviridov to compose specifically for him. Dmitri infuses Sviridov’s songs with the same emotional intensity, musical insight and sheer vocal glory that have distinguished his many earlier Delos releases.
Joining Dmitri in this world premiere recording of the orchestral version are his long-time collaborators Constantine Orbelian, conducting the St. Petersburg State Symphony Orchestra, and the Russian folk music ensemble Style of Five.
- Autumn (2:22)
- I Left My Home Behind (2:22)
- Open Before Me, O My Guardian Angel (3:23)
- Silver Path (2:31)
- Russia Cast Adrift (2:00)
- Simon, Peter … Where Are You? Come to Me (4:04)
- Where Are You, O My Father’s House? (2:46)
- Beyond the Hills of the Milky Way (1:41)
- It Sounds, It Sounds, the Fateful Trumpet! (3:05)
- An Owl Cries in Autumn (2:42)
- Oh, I Believe, I Believe in Happiness! – O My Homeland, O Joyful and Eternal Hour! (5:23)
- Bonus track: The Virgin in the City (from Petersburg, a vocal poem) (4:15)